Here is a step-by-step guide to setup parental control restrictions on the iPhone or iPod Touch with OS 3.0. Though this page is long, the steps are generally intuitive and easy to follow. This article was also published as part of a popular Google Knol collection.
General Parental Control Restrictions Setup
- From the home screen, touch the Settings icon, and select General.
- Enter a 4-digit passcode. Make sure you remember this passcode, in case you need to change these settings later on.
- You will see the restrictions screen. Set Safari, YouTube, and Installing Apps to OFF on this screen.
- Scroll down the screen to the Allowed Content area.
- Set In-App Purchases to OFF.
- Select Music & Podcasts. Set Explicit to OFF.
- Select Movies. Select the rating you would like to allow.
- Select TV Shows. Select the rating you would like to allow.
- Select Apps. Select age-based filtering for apps you would like to allow.
- Select Ratings For to change your location if necessary.
- Hit the Home button to return the home screen.
Mobicip Safe Browser Setup
Mobicip™ offers a best-selling alternate browser for Safari that enables parental controls on your child's iPhone or iPod Touch. It is simple to setup and works anytime anywhere! The Mobicip Safe Browser is protected by a mobicip.com account setup by the parent.
- From the home screen on the device, touch the App Store icon.
- Touch the search tab, and search for "mobicip"
- Select the Mobicip Safe Browser from the search results.
- Touch the price button, it will turn into BUY NOW. Touch this button and enter your iTunes username and password.
NOTE: Please make sure you purchase the app from the iTunes account that will be synced with the device. Your child may have a separate iTunes account to which the device is synced. Please purchase through that account instead of yours. If you have already purchased the app from your account, call iTunes Customer Support and they can cancel and refund the purchase.
- One purchased, the app will be installed on your screen.
- When installation is done, touch the Mobicip icon to launch the app.
- If you don't have a Mobicip.com account already, touch the Create New Account button.
- Once the account is created, login into the app. You should see the browser open up like this.
- Visit www.mobicip.com from your PC to upgrade to the Mobicip.com Premium web application. Mobicip.com Premium is a web-based parental control application that can be accessed from any browser. The Premium application allows you to setup custom Internet filtering settings and policy, and monitor Internet usage on the iPhone and iPod Touch that uses Mobicip as the primary browser.
That is it! You can be rest assured that your child will have a safe and secure Internet enabled device that he/she can use anytime anywhere!