Protect Young Eyes is one of the most popular blogs helping kids and teens to stay safe from the dangers lurking on portable internet-ready devices. They released unbiased results after exhaustively testing and analyzing 13 parental control solutions available on the market today. Qustodio, Circle, Covenant Eyes, Boomerang, Mobicip, Bark, Ever Accountable, MMGuardian, Netsanity, OurPact, CleanBrowsing DNS, Apple’s Screen Time (new with iOS 12) and Accountable2You went through the scrutiny.
Mobicip is Ranked#1 as the best overall parental control solution for kids in pre-school, elementary school, and middle school. Please see the detailed analysis from Protect Young Eyes below.
- Strength – It is the smartest filter we tested. It’s able to sort through explicit content within Pinterest (which NO ONE does), force YouTube restricted mode through a browser, and allows for safe search to be locked in seven different browsers (more than anyone).
- Strength – Mobicip has always had the greatest control for parents over YouTube and their recent parent app updates show parents the exact YouTube videos that were watched.
- Strength – It works on many of the operating systems that parents desire, including Chromebooks.
- Weakness – at times, it drags down device speed and App Store review comments support this.
- Weakness – after a device block time, apps are replaced alphabetically instead of how they were previously organized. We’ve been told this is being fixed.
- Cost: $49.99/year for a family (which is very reasonable).
- Free trial: 7 days.
- Also works on Android, Kindle, Chromebooks, Mac, PC
- Also worth noting – our testing uncovered a bug in Mobicip’s coverage of the DuckDuckGo browser, which allowed it to be used outside of safe search. Mobicip’s leadership quickly fixed the problem, which we were very pleased with.
For more details and testing matrix, visit https://protectyoungeyes.com/best-iphone-parental-control-software/
Writing credit: Authored by Anitha, a mother of two children with interests in EdTech and a strong advocate for Digital Citizenship.
Keep in touch with the latest on parenting, technology, and education. Subscribe to the Mobicip newsletter. Learn more at www.mobicip.com.